• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Your Vocabulary Size

CaptainCool

Lady of the lake
lol yeah. That's the case with me when reading Allan Poe now. Some words are just, fascinating and rare, and the style he employs is quite awesome
Murders in the Rue Morgue goes a bit like this all the way through:
"The mental features discoursed of as the analytical, are, in themselves, but little susceptible of analysis. We appreciate them only in their effects. We know of them, among other things, that they are always to their possessor, when inordinately possessed, a source of the liveliest enjoyment. As the strong man exults in his physical ability, delighting in such exercises as call his muscles into action, so glories the analyst in that moral activity which disentangles. He derives pleasure from even the most trivial occupations bringing his talents into play. He is fond of enigmas, of conundrums, of hieroglyphics; exhibiting in his solutions of each a degree of acumen which appears to the ordinary apprehension preternatural. His results, brought about by the very soul and essence of method, have, in truth, the whole air of intuition. The faculty of re-solution is posssibly much invigorated by mathematical study, and especially by that highest branch of it which, unjustly, and merely on account of its retrograde operations, has been called, as par excellence, analysis."

And that is a bit of the very first page.
Imagine reading full novels that only go towards fancier text and grammatical structures.

...Oh my o_O

Mikhal18

Best. Custom User Title. Ever.
Still better than me. /:
There there. *comforts*
Better or not who cares. As long as it's understand-able (heh.fail.exe) that's what matters the most. This is something nice furr-dah-lulz, nothing more.
Fake test is fake :> *smooch*

Symlus

Sophisticated Snake
There there. *comforts*
Better or not who cares. As long as it's understand-able (heh.fail.exe) that's what matters the most. This is something nice furr-dah-lulz, nothing more.
Fake test is fake :> *smooch*
When you break down / combine your words, I actually find it more difficult. Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to get up now.

Hateful Bitch

Hang up your coat

It's a hell of a lot easier to get to France on a big cruise liner than on a dingy.
You can make metaphors to mean anything you want. Reading this I suppose this is sort of like, you mean that with more vocabulary it's easier to get your point across? I'm not sure a traveling metaphor really makes sense for language at all though.

Here's another one.
If you were to take a ball to be your "point", then throwing it to someone else, and their catching it is them getting the point. The lighter the ball is, then the easier it is for the other person to catch. For example, that word-heavy passage on the last page would be a ball of lead, and that would be hard to catch if thrown to you, wouldn't it? And so, with what I'm getting at with this metaphor, it's harder to get the point, unless you really focus and try, like if you were preparing yourself to catch a ball of lead.

But I suppose it's always better to be stronger and more confident of your catching ability. Someone who's catching them day after day can catch them more easily than someone who's used to throwing around lighter objects.

Prattling on here.

Last edited:

Hewge

Banana Party
Banned
I'll be honest with you, Hateful Bitch, I don't know what I was trying to say in my post. ;u

I do apologize my dear acquaintance if my words seemed demeaning or something, it wasn't intended to be bad or anything.

Hateful Bitch

Hang up your coat
I'll be honest with you, Hateful Bitch, I don't know what I was trying to say in my post. ;u

I do apologize my dear acquaintance if my words seemed demeaning or something, it wasn't intended to be bad or anything.
say again please I'm not able to get your words
too much sy...lla...bles

According to the test I have 16,600 words in my vocabulary. I guess that's pretty good for a 15 year old, considering I read hundreds of books.

Native speaker here, with 21,900 words. That rule about not clicking words you know you've seen before, but don't know the definition of really got me.

Hinalle K.

Banned
Banned
How did you figure that? I have only one person to compare.
Well, the replies to this thread themselves should be giving you some insight on where I'd gotten that assumption from.

Back when I was a kid I was pretty obsessed with learning this language by myself, so I used to read whole dictionaries and then produce text using all the pretty fancy words I'd just read about. I was 11, or 12?
Ah, fun times! I would probably score a lot higher had I taken that little test back then. Now there's so many other things to in my mind to worry about, and I barely have enough time to practice anymore :c
Still, it does wonders for my ego to know I'm still on the same [or even higher] level as you natives. Ha-rumph!

Hinalle K.

Banned
Banned
inb4 all native speakers who scored badly claim the test is unreliable

Whether that fits my vocabulary or not... No way to know. I don't know how genuine this test is, but I don't mind the number. I'm most certain that 5000 are more than enough for basic communication and that talking on higher scales has nothing to do with common vocabulary but instead profession or study. Obviously enough I feel bad for scoring lower than most anybody, but the words that I didn't know were ones that I never saw in use before, so I really shouldn't mind it.

badlands

drunken pirate
26,300. middle of the road score

Day Coydog

Cute, Pink Eyesore
First time 19,100
:'(
Second time 21,100
Still :'(

Hateful Bitch

Hang up your coat
Well, the replies to this thread themselves should be giving you some insight on where I'd gotten that assumption from.

Back when I was a kid I was pretty obsessed with learning this language by myself, so I used to read whole dictionaries and then produce text using all the pretty fancy words I'd just read about. I was 11, or 12?
Ah, fun times! I would probably score a lot higher had I taken that little test back then. Now there's so many other things to in my mind to worry about, and I barely have enough time to practice anymore :c
Still, it does wonders for my ego to know I'm still on the same [or even higher] level as you natives. Ha-rumph!

Maybe it's the case where native english speakers learn a certain amount and are like "Well that's enough" whereas maybe non-native speakers are more conscious of it, and seem to worry too much about whether they're speaking fluently or not. I see it way too much on Youtube comments, someone giving good well phrased commentary followed by "sorry for my English".

Since they're not really sure how to compare themselves against other people, it's like being blind and running a race; you're not sure whether you're behind, on par, or ahead of everyone else, but you keep running your hardest just in case you're not doing very well.

Not sure if that's the case for you or any other people speaking English as a second language, but that's how I feel about some things in my life, and it could be applicable here, but I don't really know.

Last edited: