• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Yups. Stepped Down From FA Site Staff

SSJ3Mewtwo

So, 2009 - late 2020. (and Election Day 2020 just felt like an ironic day to pop this up)

That is, believe it or not, a record for Fur Affinity staff. Short of Dragoneer himself. Pretty danged good run.

Really, this came down to RL work and RL opportunity. Back when I originally started as forum staff back in 2009, and later got offered to pick up duties on the main-site, I had a radically different schedule and workplace availability. I could reach the net easy, at any time, and catch stuff fast (for the most part). My hours have always been odd, even back in culinary school days. But they synced up with the requirements well enough. Even my full-time work had a ton of dead-space amidst the day's pace. So pretty anytime something popped up of note in my area of responsibility on the site I could respond. Or on my days off, they were genuine days off. I could devote a good space of time to catching up on things.

But over the last year or so, that's gone through a pretty radical change. As my thread ( https://forums.furaffinity.net/threads/im-a-budtender-ask-me-anything.1665489/ ) noted, I've gone from hospitality to budtending. And most dispensaries are mini-fortresses. So I'm spending most of my day in a space that has very limited reception at the best moments, and spotty reception at others. Which means if stuff started hitting the fan, I was at less availability to respond. And while staff do have communication outside the site and forum to keep coordinated, even that was reduced for me for most of the work-cycle.

FA internal-wise: Decisions were made I disagreed with, strongly. But despite my objections, they were enacted. That put me in the position of having to enforce issues or potentially take action on users that had already accused me of bias.

Limited time, limited availability, a focus on RL details (including some pretty danged big potentials that I wouldn't want to distract from), and now internal decisions I didn't agree with. That's a pretty solid mesh of circumstances for stepping back and stepping down as the best move possible.

So yeah, so it goes. Still a damned nice track-record though. Nearly 11 years as staff on one of the most noted sites for furry material on the net is a pretty solid run. It's been interesting, and it's been educational. It's given a lot of perspective on other bigger sites, like youtube, DA, and other content-producer focused venues. It's a perspective that I wouldn't otherwise have on community moderation and the back-and-forth of community users and site runners. It's a perspective that I'll hold, likely for the rest of my life, as something I have in mind anytime there's internet drama or such involving sites and their moderators. It gives another level of consideration for what a community of a site or fandom pushes for, and what the host can actually nail down.

I'll still be around the main site and the forum, sure. But RL has made itself all the more important. So it's time to heade the call and focus there. Plus finish up my seriously backlogged commission obligation. Also pick at my novel aspirations, and see if I can work the thing into a complete volume.

Zenkiki

The softest little kitty
So, 2009 - late 2020. (and Election Day 2020 just felt like an ironic day to pop this up)

That is, believe it or not, a record for Fur Affinity staff. Short of Dragoneer himself. Pretty danged good run.

Really, this came down to RL work and RL opportunity. Back when I originally started as forum staff back in 2009, and later got offered to pick up duties on the main-site, I had a radically different schedule and workplace availability. I could reach the net easy, at any time, and catch stuff fast (for the most part). My hours have always been odd, even back in culinary school days. But they synced up with the requirements well enough. Even my full-time work had a ton of dead-space amidst the day's pace. So pretty anytime something popped up of note in my area of responsibility on the site I could respond. Or on my days off, they were genuine days off. I could devote a good space of time to catching up on things.

But over the last year or so, that's gone through a pretty radical change. As my thread ( https://forums.furaffinity.net/threads/im-a-budtender-ask-me-anything.1665489/ ) noted, I've gone from hospitality to budtending. And most dispensaries are mini-fortresses. So I'm spending most of my day in a space that has very limited reception at the best moments, and spotty reception at others. Which means if stuff started hitting the fan, I was at less availability to respond. And while staff do have communication outside the site and forum to keep coordinated, even that was reduced for me for most of the work-cycle.

FA internal-wise: Decisions were made I disagreed with, strongly. But despite my objections, they were enacted. That put me in the position of having to enforce issues or potentially take action on users that had already accused me of bias.

Limited time, limited availability, a focus on RL details (including some pretty danged big potentials that I wouldn't want to distract from), and now internal decisions I didn't agree with. That's a pretty solid mesh of circumstances for stepping back and stepping down as the best move possible.

So yeah, so it goes. Still a damned nice track-record though. Nearly 11 years as staff on one of the most noted sites for furry material on the net is a pretty solid run. It's been interesting, and it's been educational. It's given a lot of perspective on other bigger sites, like youtube, DA, and other content-producer focused venues. It's a perspective that I wouldn't otherwise have on community moderation and the back-and-forth of community users and site runners. It's a perspective that I'll hold, likely for the rest of my life, as something I have in mind anytime there's internet drama or such involving sites and their moderators. It gives another level of consideration for what a community of a site or fandom pushes for, and what the host can actually nail down.

I'll still be around the main site and the forum, sure. But RL has made itself all the more important. So it's time to heade the call and focus there. Plus finish up my seriously backlogged commission obligation. Also pick at my novel aspirations, and see if I can work the thing into a complete volume.
You were here for everyone and even though you may not have agreed with everything the team thought was best, you handled everything professionally, and it was done as best you could. Go enjoy yourself. You don't need this to be a second job especially when you are not getting paid for this work. I would have offered help (and had). You will be missed, but it is for the best. Wish you well.

KD142000

Leather-clad Lobo
Well done for the moderation in the year and a half (I think, must be by now) I've been here. From people's posts, it sounds like you've always been there to do your job :3

Good luck to you in the future and we shall miss you.

KimberVaile

Officially elected and actual ruler of FAF
It is true, I would say, that we at times did not see eye to eye with the direction of some threads, as well as how some of the rules were interpreted, but at that end of the day, you're still a person just following what you feel is right and fair. So, I would like to take this opportunity to speak as one person to another. I understand being a moderator is more difficult that it's made out to be. When it comes to positions of authority, all eyes are on you, and facing all the criticism, warranted or not, is undoubtedly difficult. I've always felt that such positions were particularly unenviable because of how intensely the public scrutinizes your every action.

So, for my part, SSJ, I want to apologize for the moments I was particularity vociferous about how you engaged in moderation. I know I can be difficult, outspoken and insufferably stubborn, and I'm aware I didn't always make life easy for you, and I am sorry for that. Regardless of any disagreements, you had a passion for the site, and that alone is admirable, you put effort towards something you believed strongly in. For this, I cannot fault or find issue with in the slightest. I had previously thought that just engaging in the political part of the forums when it was around was draining, though, I've hardly considered how taxing it was to have to moderate all of that. I think it's easy to forget there is a person beneath the little "staff" pin, really .

So, while you may not have preferred to hear it coming from me, I will remark anyways that I genuinely wish you the best for your future endeavors and hope you enjoy the new journeys on the new roads you travel upon. Your passion for the site is what showed the most and it's what had the most lasting effect on it, certainly for the better.

Rassah

Well, considering all the times I have been harassed, bullied, slandered, called out, had my words taken out of context, and was generally piled on to the point where I could barely keep up with refuting accusations and insults thrown at me (which initially I tried to ignore but was forced to address because others started to believe them), only to have the perpetrators get zero consequences for their actions and me getting suspensions for the few times I tried defending myself, your decision couldn't have happened sooner.
I wish I could be nicer about it, and feign well wishes, but part of being a good leader and being in charge is knowing when you don't belong in such a position. Knowing when you can no longer be impartial or just and when it's time to step down. You failed terribly. Whether it was political bias, or bias towards people you considered friends, it doesn't matter. I can't put into words the anger I feel at that and at what I had to put up with. So all I'll say is that I can't forgive and I hope your decision results in you fading into obscurity and the forum becoming a better place as a result of it.

Rassah

With what I had to put up with, for many years, and even as recently as a week ago, no, I can't say I am.
P.S. Ironically I received a warning for bringing up almost the same issue in a post a long time ago. Ironically things remained the same since then. And ironically bringing up an issue results in punishment rather than resolution of that issue, just like defending myself against certain people had. Well, used to. The only reason I am risking saying this is because this person is no longer staff. And I have higher hopes for the new team.

Last edited:

ConorHyena

road warrior
Well, considering all the times I have been harassed, bullied, slandered, called out, had my words taken out of context, and was generally piled on to the point where I could barely keep up with refuting accusations and insults thrown at me (which initially I tried to ignore but was forced to address because others started to believe them), only to have the perpetrators get zero consequences for their actions and me getting suspensions for the few times I tried defending myself, your decision couldn't have happened sooner.
I wish I could be nicer about it, and feign well wishes, but part of being a good leader and being in charge is knowing when you don't belong in such a position. Knowing when you can no longer be impartial or just and when it's time to step down. You failed terribly. Whether it was political bias, or bias towards people you considered friends, it doesn't matter. I can't put into words the anger I feel at that and at what I had to put up with. So all I'll say is that I can't forgive and I hope your decision results in you fading into obscurity and the forum becoming a better place as a result of it.

Butthurt: I have been summoned.

D

Deleted member 134556

I didn’t always agree with your decisions, but you still helped keep this place from falling apart, sometimes all by yourself, which is something I want to thank you for. Despite our differences, you’re human like the rest of us, and 11 years is a long time, so I can understand if it must be hard to move on.

I wish you luck on wherever life takes you from this point.

DergenTheDragon

The cutest derg
I never got to witness you staffing or anything of that nature but I'm sure you did a fine job during your service towards this community. Thank you for your dedication and best of luck in the future

Frank Gulotta

Send us your floppy
Excuse me, but I doubt FAF is anywhere near any other large social media platform, it's got like 30 active users (less and less as it keeps banning all the fun people)

Firuthi Dragovic

Gamer Dragon, former speedrunner
After seeing the sheer amount of impulsivity around here? Even if your reasons for stepping down had nothing to do with your work situation, I honestly would not be surprised AT ALL.

Even with the biggest "walking on eggshells" place being gone with the redesign.

Good luck going forward.

quoting_mungo

Best of, dude. I’m glad to have had the opportunity to work with you while I was still on staff, and while I haven’t always agreed with the calls you’ve communicated, I respect you and know the disagreement there is more a matter of degree than anything. I certainly can relate to the (non-RL-work) circumstances you cite.

(And to the people using this thread to air grievances: what you’re doing is fucking tacky. Not the time or the place.)

ben909

vaporeon... *spills* ... wait espeon now
And now you must(should) do one inportant extra step, post on our side in users vs staff

Ramjet

Seizing the memes of production
Well, it's not a bad thing to step away from a position you know doesn't sit well with your own personal views, sometimes you gotta look out for number one.

Best of luck in whatever new endeavor you follow.